SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT
At BHBW, we care about our people and the environment we operate in. Managing workplace health and safety and environmental protection is integral to the way we do business and also recognised as key to building a sustainable future. Our focus is continuous improvement in safety, health and environmental performance in order to achieve zero harm.
To this end, we:
- Strive to maintain a safe and healthy working environment for all employees, contractors and visitors by strict adherence to practical procedures and precautions;
- Provide the necessary resources for the implementation of an effective safety, health and environmental management system;
- Comply with legal requirements as a minimum – where laws and regulations do not provide adequate controls, we adopt our own standards to protect stakeholders’ interests;
- Instruct and encourage employees to observe the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Mines Health and Safety Act and other relevant legislation;
- Provide training and awareness to ensure that our employees are adequately certified and competent to carry out their duties;
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into strategic planning, decision making and activities;
- Strive to minimise the impact of our activities on the environment and to prevent pollution through the safe treatment and disposal of waste;
- Focus on minimising energy, fuel and water use in our buildings and operations;
- Monitor, measure and evaluate our performance against the set targets;
- Communicate this policy to all employees, visitors and contractors;
- Adopt a proactive approach to employee wellness with the goal of access to occupational health services for all employees, regardless of their location.
Our safety, health and environmental policy is reviewed annually to ensure that it remains appropriate to the nature and scale of our business, products and services.